Thursday, January 8, 2015

Sunset in the Sahara

We arrived in Taza by train in the afternoon and, after getting settled, piled into a van to drive out to the Kasbah at Msoun about 30km east of Taza. It is inhabited by a tribe of about 100 members called the Daouri. The kasbah is still complete on three of its sides and many of its original features are still present, dating back to the late 1600's. We were at Msoun for sunset, and let me tell you that you have not really seen a sunset until you've seen it over the Sahara. The colors were incredible: purple, pink, orange, yellow, red, green, blue, and colors I can't even describe. For me it was an emotional experience and I was sad to leave it so soon. I grabbed a few stones and a shell to keep as a token of the time I stood and witnessed the sun setting over Sahara Proper with mountains all around me. I love experiences that make me feel small and, for lack of a better term, inconsequential. The world is a big, beautiful place and we are simply a blip on its timeline. I have been thinking about The Little Prince ever since. It will be a very long time before I have an experience that rivals this one. I can't wait to find a way to show this to my daughter.








No comments:

Post a Comment