Wednesday, December 17, 2014

About the Program



As part of my degree in Geography, I am taking a short study abroad course. Geography by Rail: Morocco will fulfill my field techniques requirement while also giving me a pretty incredible opportunity. While traveling through the country (mostly by train) I will be taking photos and blogging about the experience.

I'll arrive in Tangier on December 28th. We'll take an overnight train the following day to Marrakech where we'll spend New Year's Eve. From there we'll continue on to Rabat, Meknes, Fes, and Taza. The program will conclude in Casablanca on January 10th. I have rented an apartment for one last night in Casablanca and will head home to Colorado on January 11th.

Suring the two weeks in country we will explore the physical and human landscape, learning about the natural history, human history, and rich culture of the Moroccan people. We will eat traditional foods, visit a hammam, and experience the hospitality Morocco is well-known for.

Where exactly is Morocco, you ask? Morocco is located in northwest Africa. A ferry can be taken between Morocco and Spain for a reasonable fare. At the closest points, Spain and Morocco are a mere 8 miles apart.

The cities we'll be visiting are spread throughout the country. I've created a map with dates for those interested in knowing where I'll be and when (you know, like my mother and husband!)


There will be ten students and two instructors in the program. We will be limited to bringing items that fit into a backpack...which means I am bringing a very large backpack! Ha! Next week I will blog about my adventures in packing light. I have faith I can accomplish such a task.

I can't wait to begin this journey. I feel incredibly lucky to have the chance and be so supported in this by my friends and family.

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment